Monday, August 16, 2010

Boy Sunday flew by.  I did not get on the mower.  Frank went to town for gas and hopped on the machine and finished the last strip of grass.  So that left me to go to work on the computer.  I did paper work all day and I am just about caught up. 

As I told you yesterday that I was going to do some cooking.  Honestly I used to be a so so cook but I have not been in the kitchen lately.  It is interesting how you forget little things.  My cooking project is do to my sister.  She let it slip that I used to make coconut cream pies for my Dad.  So Frank picked up the things I needed at the store.  No, I don't make pie crust from scratch.  Even when I cooked I did not make scratch crust.  And the way I made the pie is using packages.  The only thing from scratch was the meringue.  The pie crust got a good piercing or at least I thought it was really pierced until it started puffing here and there.  Then I started cooking the filling.  As I am stirring the pudding I remind my self mentally to remember the coconut.  You guessed it.  I went and poured the filling into the shell without stirring in the coconut.  Quickly I ran to get the bag of coconut opened. Then sprinkled and stirred very gently.  Ok, so now it is time to make the meringue.  I am a little nervous after the coconut deal.  Out comes the big mixer you know the kind you just gotta have and then it ends up being a counter decoration.  As I am mixing the egg whites and teaspoons of sugar it just isn't puffing up.  Frank said it did not look airy.  But it was glossy.  So I changed mixing blades and turned that sucker up as fast as it would go.  Thank goodness I finally decided to stop.  I almost had candy.  You know the directions tell you it is good when it holds it's shape.  Well it held its shape.  It was supposed to have nice swirls at the top but it did not want to swirl.  Next step is to brown the meringue without starting a fire.  I cranked up the oven and put on my kitchen glove so I could rescue the pie should the flames start.  The browning looked a little wimpy but better wimpy than flames shooting off the top.  The meringue tasted good.  The filling was a little runny (I ate it with  a spoon).  Frank said it was good.  Just like anything you gotta get back in there and try again.

I better get going and plan some of the cards for this week.  One for tomorrow and four for Saturday.
Plus a scrapbook page in between.

See you at the shop.

3 comments:

Glenda said...

Another great post today Gail. It is so nice to see you have other talents besides paper, ink and stamps,so thanks for letting us into the secret life of Gail. Sounds like you will be having a busy week but don't stop the blogging and ladies please post a comment on Gail's blog so she will keep writing. Everyone has something to say and we all enjoy reading about your thoughts. So lets break a post comment record on Gail's next blog, Thanks to Teddi, Lisa, and Sandie for your post, I enjoyed your comments and look forward to more of them. Everyone have a great evening.

Celeste said...

I just love the life of Gail. You have such a way with words. I can pictue all your stories in my mind's eye.

Lisa Ayers said...

It's so good to know your normal. I love the store and the great friendships that are beginning to take hold. And, I love your stories!

Blog Archive