Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Philly Cheesesteak Soup

Left the shop and the temp was 32 on my car thermometer. But then it would change to ice. ICE!!!!! Then as I drove up the drive it read 29. YEOW!!! My goodness it is even cold down in South Florida. I think it is the wind that makes me shiver. I can bundle up but that darn wind cuts right through me. Thank goodness Prissy is making quick work with her outside visits.

I love the new Target commercial. All those flashing Christmas lights. The minds that think up all those designs. My favorite is the barn Santa. I think we should leave some of these lights up all year round. They make us so happy. We are like kids again.

Here is our recipe for the day and it is from 'Southern Lady Holidays 2009'.

Philly Cheesesteak Soup

Makes 3 1/2 quarts

1/4 cup olive oil
2 large yellow onions, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
4 large green bell peppers, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
3 pounds top round steak, sliced into 1x1/2-inch pieces
2 quarts beef broth
2 (10.5-ounce) cans beef consomme'
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Toasted French rounds
Shredded Provolone cheese

In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
Add onions, bell peppers, and garlic; cook for 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add steak; cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until browned.
Add beef broth, consomme', salt, and pepper, stirring to combine.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours, or until meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
Add thyme; simmer for 5 minutes.
Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls; top with toasted French rounds and shredded cheese.
Broil 6 inches from heat or 3 minutes, or until cheese is browned and bubbly.
Serve immediately.

The layout is almost finished and should be posted mid-day tomorrow. The title is 'the great outdoors'.

Have a warm evening.

See you at the shop.

No comments:

Blog Archive