I know you guys are supper busy with the Holidays. I came across this recipe to make quickly and have on hand. This is from Better Homes and Gardens recipes. You can make this more diet friendly by substituting a few healthier choices.
Tortellini and Garden Vegetable Bake
- 10 ounces dried cheese-filled tortellini (2-1/2 cups) or two 9-ounce packages refrigerated tortellini
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas, halved crosswise
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh oregano or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 8 ounce package cream cheese or light cream cheese (Neufchatel), cubed and softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red or green sweet pepper, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Cook tortellini in boiling salted water according to package directions, adding the carrot during the last 5 minutes of cooking and the sugar snap peas during the last 1 minute of cooking; drain.
2. Meanwhile, heat margarine or butter in a 12-inch skillet. Add chicken and mushrooms, and cook about 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Remove from skillet.
3. Shake together chicken broth, oregano, flour, garlic salt, and pepper in a screw-top jar until smooth. Add to skillet along with milk. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly; add cream cheese. Cook and stir until cream cheese is smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice. Add pasta mixture, chicken mixture, tomatoes, and sweet pepper. Toss to coat. Turn into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish or shallow 3-quart casserole.
4. Bake, covered, in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until heated through. Stir mixture and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Transport in an insulated carrier. Makes 12 main-dish servings.
- Make Ahead Tip Prepare as directed but don't bake it. Instead, cover and chill up to 24 hours. Bake, covered, in a 350 degrees F oven about 55 minutes or until hot.
- Servings Per Recipe 12,
- Calories 247,
- Protein (gm) 15,
- Carbohydrate (gm) 17,
- Fat, total (gm) 12,
- Cholesterol (mg) 43,
- Saturated fat (gm) 5,
- Dietary Fiber, total (gm) 1,
- Vitamin A (RE) 464,
- Vitamin C (mg) 21,
- Sodium (mg) 477,
- Calcium (DV %) 121,
- Iron (DV %) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
See you at the shop.