Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thank all of you ladies for coming to the classes on Tuesday.  I know you had things you needed to do at home to prepare for Thanksgiving.  I enjoyed being with you and hearing what you had planned.

I am thankful for all the memories of family and our Thanksgivings together.  We had great dumplings that my Granny always made.

Of course she made them by hand.  No shortcuts.  No fancy equipment.  If my memory is right she used a glass to roll the dumplings.  They were so tender and so good.  There was always way too much food.

When I was younger we would have Thanksgiving at my Big Mert and Big Daddy's.  Now talking about a crew.  WOW!  We had to eat in shifts so you know how much cooking was done.


One Thanksgiving we had a fresh turkey that my Big Mert cut up, fried, and cooked in gravy.  It was delicious.

It was my Daddy's job to carve the turkey.  We would all hang around as he did the carving and to enjoy the little pieces.  Those were the best!!!!

Mom always made the dressing.  Dad was the tester.  It had to have just the right amount of pepper and onion.
Later I had to learn to make the dressing.  What a stress that was the first Thanksgiving.  I am sure it was quite a sight.  I made my cornbread and boiled my hen the day before.  I did some research in my many cookbooks looking for a recipe that I thought was close to what my Mom made.  Now is the time to get those recipes from your loved ones.  Don't loose those family greats.  The big day came.  Pulled out a bowl.  Well that didn't last long.  Because it outgrew that bowl.  It ended up in my largest stainless steel bowl.  There is Daddy testing .  More pepper, more pepper.  It came close but was not my Mom's.  That year we had two 9x13 pans of dressing.  Oh well, I love cold dressing.  It didn't last long, with doggie bags and my snacking.

One of my traditions at Thanksgiving was to line up my nieces and nephews for a little whipped cream.  I always had a can of cream for the pumpkin pies and one for fun.  The kids would line up and I would walk by and squirt a little cream on each little tongue. 


These guys are in their 30's now. 

Time flies but the memories are what we need to preserve. I am Thankful for all those wonderful times.




I am also thankful for my Scrappy Family.   Each day is always full of so much fun. 
                 
Wishing you all a very Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Blog Archive