Monday, November 30, 2009

King Ranch Chicken

Well, Prissy did it to me again yesterday. She started moving around about 7a.m. I thought if I stayed very still she would get under the covers and sleep a little longer. No such luck. The next thing I know I feel two little paws on my chest. Trying to still be sneaky, I eased my eyes open and I am looking up at two black eyes. I couldn't refuse that sweet invitation. So up we go, outside to be quick and give Pokey his scoop of feed. The rest of the day was spent doing laundry, drinking coffee,searching on facebook, and looking at recipes. We also finished off the Thanksgiving goodies. They were still yummy.

Christmas Recipe Countdown:

King Ranch Chicken

4 skinned and boned chicken breasts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes aand green chiles
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
12 (6-inch) corn tortilla, cut into quarters
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
Garnish: flat-leaf parsley sprigs

Sprinkle chicken breasts evenly with salt and pepper; place in a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish.
Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes or until done; cool.
Coarsely chop chicken.
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add bell pepper and onion, and saute' 4 minutes or until crisp-tender.
Remove from heat, and stir in chicken, tomatoes and green chiles, and soups.
Place one-third of tortilla quarters in bottom of a lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish; top with one-third of chicken mixture, and sprinkle evenly with 2/3 cup cheese.
Repeat layers twice, reserving last 2/3 cup cheese.
Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes; sprinkle with reserved 2/3 cup cheese, and bake 5 more minutes.
Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Garnish, if desired.

See ya!

No comments:

Blog Archive