Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving - November 28, 2013

Oh my gosh it is Thanksgiving already. Today we enjoy family and food.  We laugh, laugh, laugh.  Eat, eat, eat. Groan, groan, groan.  Then we complain that we ate too much.  But we love every minute of it.

I remember when I was young we would go to my Mom's family at Thanksgiving.  There was so much food.  Talking about a groaning board.  All kinds of veggies.  One year my grandmother made fresh turkey. She cut it in chunks. Deep fried then served with gravy.  Yummy!!!


When we had Thanksgiving at home my Father's Mom would make chicken and dumplins'.  She didn't use a rolling pin it had to be a smooth tall tea glass.  Of course she didn't get flour all over the place like I do when that bag comes out of the cabinet.  There was no recipe either.  It was all by feel.  Oh yes, there had to be a special spoon for easy stirring.


 She made a Sweet Potato Puff.  Sweet potato and marshmallow.   There was no recipe but she wrote me a sweet note with how she made it.
I remember making it one year.  I thought I would do a special dish for the kiddos.  They mainly like those melted marshmallows.  So I took a pizza pan.  Skimmed just a little sweet potato down and then loaded it with marshmallows.  Guess what...yep it ran all over the oven and started a fire.

Then we started coming to my house.  I had a great boss that let me have Wednesday off to start the preparations.  My favorite time during the day was when I lined the kids up and squirted their tongues
with whipped cream.  They sure were trusting.  I'm sure if it had been my baby brother they would have been more cautious. He is such a prankster.





My Mom made the best dressing.  We didn't get her recipe from her.  So I started searching recipe books.  I would check with my Dad to see if a recipe came close.  Finally we came across a recipe.  The first time I made it we had a lot of dressing.  Dad would taste the raw dressing to see if it had enough pepper and onion.  His other job was carving the turkey.

He also would read the newspaper as we cooked.  Here is one of my favorite pictures with my prankster brother.  Doesn't he look so angelic.  You would not suspect him of mischief.


Now the next generation starts with their traditions.


                Have a Blessed Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Blog Archive